Saturday, May 2, 2015

All You need to Know about CPT - Curricular Practical Training

While you are in your school you can opt for CPt which is curricular practicl training . You cannot have more than 12 months of CPT.

If you more than 12 months of CPT then you are inelgible for OPT . Usually I have seen Master's student getting Internships during summer time for a period of 3 months.

Mostly companies in USA hire interns in summer time for 12 or 14 week period.

There are a few things to keep in mind before you go for your CPT :
1) CPT must relate to your major and the experience you gain must be a part of your program study.

2) Usually in USA if you are a master's student then you can go for your CPT ( Internship ) after two semseters or 9 Months . There are a few universities which give day 1 CPT but it is usually recommended to go after your CPT after 9 Months. 

3) Your school DSO will provide you with a new I-20 which will show that the DSO has approved your Employment.

4) You can either wok full time or part time on your CPT.

Make sure you don't extend the period of CPT mentioned on your I-20 . If you need extension contact your DSO and ask for a new I-20 . 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. Thank you for writing these excellent articles on your blog. This is really some good basic information to have. I learned few new things after reading all of your 11 articles published on blog. I have 1 doubt after reading the above article -

    You mentioned - ' There are a few universities which give day 1 CPT but it is usually recommended to go after your CPT after 9 Months. '

    I wanted to know Is there any dis-advantage / issue with going for CPT earlier than 9 months. I know one of my friend who has an admit from a university which offers day-1 CPT option as the classes are held only once in a weekend.

    Kindly advise

  2. Hello Rajesh ,

    I am glad that you like my article.Coming to your question now, usually univerties in USA would not allow you to go before 9 months and also I know there are big companies which would not take you till you have completed atleast 9 months here in US. Usually the universities which offer day 1 CPT are not very recognized or famous ones. You might face a problem when your employer files your H1-B. But I see a lot of people optimg for day 1 CPT and some get RFE and some dosen't . So it totally depends on the university and how well established it is.


  3. Hello,

    Very interesting blog. I have a question on H1B, CPT/OPT. I will be likely pursuing my MS in US this fall. And i got married recently. Suppose after 9 months when i get an internship can i get my wife to US, or is it only after i get my H1B? Please throw some light on this. I am reconsidering my option to study in US as i will have to stay away from my family.