Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

How to Search for Jobs


I have had first hand experience myself in searching for jobs and I would  like to share my experience with you.

As a international student here in USA you are always concerned with the fact that whether the company would sponsor your H1-B visa or not . You don't want to spend much time in applying for jobs where the companies don't sponsor your H1-B.

how-to-search-for-jobs

First of all its important to understand how to start applying for jobs. As I was applying for jobs myself I was confused where to start from. The first thing I wanted was a list of companies so that at least I know myself which companies are here in USA and then I can shortlist a few of them and start applying .

The best thing to find a list of companies is to search : Fortune 500 Companies. ( https://fortune.com/fortune500/) . This has the list of top 500 companies.

There are a few ways to apply for jobs :

1) There are websites like SimplyHired , indeed where you can search for jobs directly .

2) Also what you can do is search for a company name , go to its website and usually on the bottom right corner you have careers option . Go there and search for open positions and apply directly .

3) LinkedIn

I would always suggest to start early . Say , if you are graduating in December start your Job search from July - August  . All big companies start recruiting for next year starting August .

Try to set a aim for the day , like I will at least apply 30 Jobs today . Applying for jobs is a time consuming process. One application might take around 15 - 20 minutes.

Another great way of applying Jobs is LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a very powerful tool . Make sure if you are in the job market and looking out for jobs then do make a profile on LinkedIn.

Also its important to understand that just making a profile and joining LinkedIn does not help you in getting a job. For that you have to add recruiters. Once they accept your invitation send them a personal message which includes a short summary of your profile and asking them about any open positions or any positions you applied to which were posted by them. Again this is a very time consuming process, so being patient is the key for success.

Also don't hesitate in sending request to a recruiter. They are there to recruit people and they would be happy to connect . Also take advantage of one month free premium account which LinkedIn offers. It is a great way to explore more in your LinkedIn profile ans see all the statistics which help you get your dream job . Here is the link ( https://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72/~/try-a-premium-account-for-free)

Let me know what you guys think about my article. I would also love to answer any questions you have regarding Job Search.

You would also want to look at my post about LinkedIn.

I hope the above information helps. If you have something to add to it , do leave a comment below. Don't forget to like our facebook page for latest updates. Also follow us on Twitter.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

4 comments:

  1. Hi bro can you suggest me the list of companies that can probably sponsor for H1B . email vangagowthamreddy @gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gowthamreddy ,

      I don't have a database of all the companies which sponsor H1-B visa but what I use to do was I use to search this website "http://www.myvisajobs.com/" . This is a very useful website . And anytime you would google with something like " Does XYZ company sponsor H1-b visa , then most of the times this website would come up and it conatains the statistics which tell you whether a company sponsore H- B visa or not. I hope it helps.

      Delete
  2. Hey bro...
    Consider that we get a recruiter who is sponserIng our H1B visa ....
    But does this mean that we will get an accepted H1B?
    because in recent times the petitions are increased by a huge number and so USCIS decided to go for lottery system
    So please let me know whether getting a H1B sponser assures our visa acceptance or not ? And what if our H1B is not accepted ?
    what should be done in that case?
    can we go for OPT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yashodeep ,

    H1-B sponsor does not assure visa. There were 233,000 petitions this time out of which 85,000 will be selected. That means approx. 150k will be rejected. If you are a stem major you get two chances to file for your H1B ( three if you graduate in december. Please read my other articles regarding H1-B and graduating early here :

    http://allaboutmsinusa.blogspot.com/2015/04/all-you-need-to-know-about-h1-b-2016.html

    http://allaboutmsinusa.blogspot.com/2015/04/benefits-of-graduating-early.html

    ReplyDelete